What I am doing now

You are most likely here because you enjoy crafting. I have been reading up on some of the WoW issues regarding gold making, which make me realize that WoW is not the game for me.

If you want to play a game where gathering and crafting is the cornerstone of the economy, and are not faint of heart, I recommend EVE Online. EVE even has releases purely to support industry. You can play for free if you are good enough manufacturer or trader.

Be the builder in a villainous world.

My journey can be seen at http://foo-eve.blogspot.com.au

For a 21 day free trial, click here (Disclaimer: I do get a bonus if you become a paid subscriber)

21 August 2012

MOP Backup

If the blizzard updater fails; are you going to be locked out of WoW for a week while you have to re-download the entire client again?

This very nearly happened to me during the start of Cataclysm. My WoW installation became corrupt during the upgrade.

As a solution, I managed to copy the base WoW install from my son's computer, and only had to re-download some of the patch.  It took about 4 days to recover (during glyphmass - and some may know how much I like my glyphs), and once I got into WoW there were already too many things for me to do.

I can help you with Windows XP (yes, an old operating system; but better than Vista that was offered when I last bought PC's).

If you are on Windows XP; copy your c:\program files\World of Warcraft folder.
  • Take a copy now. 
  • Take another copy everytime you download a big patch
  • If you have access to another computer, put your copy on it and run WoW from there.
If you are running another operating system; do your research now not later when things have broken.

As an aside; the patches are huge and consume both quota and network capacity; if you have 2-3 players in the household; you only need to download the patches once and can copy the patches to other computers; it is much faster.

Ideally; you will have:
  • a current WoW installation you are using; 
  • a current backup on another hard drive
  • a slightly older backup (say for the previous patch) not currently connected to your pc.
  • have used a backup to restore WoW and continue playing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the blog mostly being inactive and the only comments recently being anonymous spam; I have restricted comments to "Registered Users"; hat includes anything google recognises as an account (google, openId, wordpress etc). I am still (mostly) active on foo-eve.blogspot.com

Blogger comments supports basic html. You can make a link 'clicky' by <a href="http://yoursite/yourpage">yoursite/yourpage</a>

Disagreements are welcome - especially on speculative posts. I love a great disagreement.

I have a comment moderation policy (see the pages at the top)